Missing modules for paramiko and gio in duplicity foo

Since I upgraded some of my servers to the latest LTS of Ubuntu, I saw nice warning messages in my duplicity backup reports. I know, these are just warnings and no errors, but I don’t like to see any warning in a backup report of mine. Here is a sample:

Import of duplicity.backends.giobackend Failed: No module named gio
Import of duplicity.backends.sshbackend Failed: No module named paramiko

The paramiko problem was resolved easily by installing the python-paramiko package. The gio warning was not so easy to find. But after some digging I found the culprit in python-gobject-2. The following command line fixes the above warnings on a Debian based distribution:

apt-get install python-paramiko python-gobject-2

Apache Doesn’t Show Protected Folders… Foo

After setting up a nice download area with password protection I ran into an interesting issue. And I don’t know why I haven’t encountered that problem before. It’s not that I never set up Apache configurations or have never heard of mod_auth and mod_autoindex.

But now to the problem itself. I had a set up for a download area and added a sub-folder that needed password protection. Here is the configuration:

<Directory /srv/www/myroot/>
         Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
         AllowOverride None
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory /srv/www/myroot/downloads/protected/>
         Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
         AllowOverride None
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
         AuthType Basic
         AuthName "Download area for Foo Bar"
         AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/private/htpasswd
         Require user me myself
</Directory>

Looks good, doesn’t it? Well, not 100% good. The folder protected didn’t show up in the directory index. After some additional coffee, a couple of face palms and a quick browse through Google and the Apache documentation I found the culprit. The setting ShowForbidden in the options for mod_autoindex. If it is not set everything that is forbidden or needs authentication will not show up in the directory index. Here is the tweaked version of the configuration (change in bold):

<Directory /srv/www/myroot/>
         Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
         IndexOptions +ShowForbidden
         AllowOverride None
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory /srv/www/myroot/downloads/protected/>
         Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
         AllowOverride None
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
         AuthType Basic
         AuthName "Download area for Foo Bar"
         AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/private/htpasswd
         Require user me myself
</Directory>

Eclipse Huge Tab Bar Foo

On my odyssey to find the right desktop environment for me I am back in Gnome land. In its latest incarnation Gnome 3 it looks nice and seems to be actually usable. I still don’t like that they removed more or less all useful configuration options. But finally there are some tools that make up for that (i.e. Gnome Tweak Tool).

But I am digressing. One of the many issues that I had afterwards was Eclipse. I don’t like using Eclipse (or in this case MyEclipse) in the first place but after the switch to Gnome it was worse than ever. And it was not so much Eclipse in itself it was more the fonts and the way the widgets were drawn. The fonts I fixed with a general font settings overhaul for the desktop. But certain parts of the UI just were huge and didn’t scale nicely. The toolbar on top fit always in one row but now I have two rows. And although the fonts were smaller the tabs and toolbars were drawn like they had to accommodate a much huger font. It is just an utter waste of space.

eclipse-tab-foo-before-1
eclipse-tab-foo-before-2

The solution was actually quite easy. Just open or create the GTK 2.0 configuration file (.gtkrc-2.0) in your home directory and add the following lines:

style "compact-toolbar"
{
  GtkToolbar::internal-padding = 0
  xthickness = 1
  ythickness = 1
}

style "compact-button"
{
  xthickness = 0
  ythickness = 0
}

class "GtkToolbar"                       style "compact-toolbar"
widget_class "*<GtkToolbar>*<GtkButton>" style "compact-button"

Afterwards restart Eclipse and all is good.

eclipse-tab-foo-after-1 eclipse-tab-foo-after-2

CloudPress Foo

In the wake of all the NSA scandals I finally took the time and created a full blown cloud solution for my family. I used a lot of components that are readily available (Owncloud, Roundcube, WordPress, etc.) and could create a very well rounded solution for us. In order to integrate everything I used the Roundcube plugin for Owncloud and CloudPress to integrate with WordPress.

But of course I ran into trouble. The Roundcube plugin worked out of the box and I have no problem letting people set up their own accounts. But the CloudPress plugin to sync the user accounts made some trouble.

After some digging the problem was obvious. The file that you can download contains conflict tags from a CVS update. This is kinda odd but easy to fix. After I removed the tags and the broken/old code the sync worked fine but still some images of the plugin didn’t show up.

Some more digging and that was resolved as well. Now I have a nice solution for my family to write blog posts and collaborate. To make life easier for other people I decided to release the fixes that I applied. So please give a warm welcome to my own patches for CloudPress. And now click here to go to my project page.